NAUSHAHRO FEROZE: The body of a local journalist, Aziz Memon, was found in a water channel in Mehrabpur on Sunday.
The body was recovered from Gaddo Branch with a wire tied around the neck, showing signs of strangulation.
Sources said Mr Memon, who was associated with TV channel KTN and Sindhi daily Kawish, had asked a cameraman he worked with to drop him at a place where he was to attend a ceremony. Later, the villagers spotted his body floating in the canal.
A police official told Dawn that according to the deceased’s wife, he had left for Behlani.
The 56-year-old journalist often received threats of dire consequences during his 30-year-long career.
Last year, he had received one such threat allegedly from an MNA. After that episode, Mr Memon had left his hometown and moved to Islamabad for some time.
Meanwhile, journalists of Naushahro Feroze, Moro, Kandiaro, Mehrabpur, Padidan, Darya Khan Marri and other towns of Naushahro Feroze district held demonstrations to protest against his murder and demanded immediate arrest of his killers.
The Association of Electronic Media Editors and News Directors condemned the murder.
Azhar Abbas, president, and Ammad Yousuf, secretary general of the association, said the media community was shocked at this blatant act of violence and also over the continued attacks and killing of media personnel in the line of duty aimed at silencing the voice of dissent.
According to media reports, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has taken notice of the incident and directed the police authorities to ensure immediate arrest of the killers.