TV cameraman Taimour Abbas killed in Karachi attack

Karachi: Taimour Abbas, 22-year-old assistant cameraman of privately-owned Samaa TV news channel, was shot in his head and chest on February 12 when he was traveling in the Digital Satellite News Gathering (DSNG) van in north Nazimabad to report on an attack on the police. He was taken to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

The unidentified assailants on a motorbike had thrown an explosive device on a police armored personnel carrier, and had started shooting when the Samaa TV van arrived. Prime Minister Nawaf Sharif has condemned the killing and termed it an ‘attack on the freedom of expression’.

According to Sindh police spokesman, Sindh IGP AD Khawaja had asked the DIG West to probe into the incident. He also directed the SSP central to take strict action against those involved and also form a special team to investigate.

Abbas is the second journalist killed in Pakistan this year. On January 12, unidentified attackers shot dead 37-year-old Muhammad Jan Sumalani, a reporter of Urdu language daily Qudrat and Brahui language daily Talar Quetta in Kalat, Balochistan. Since 2006 over 123 journalists have been killed as per RMNP Monitoring , making Pakistan one of the most dangerous countries in the world for journalists.

RMNP in a statement said: “The killing of yet another media person in Pakistan is tragic news as Pakistan has failed to improve the security for journalists despite seeing hundreds of journalists and media staff being brutally killed over last few years. The RMNP condemns the killing of Taimour Abbas in Karachi and demands for strong action from Pakistan government to ensure justice to the slain cameraman.”

Mean while Police have registered a First Information Report (F.I.R) against unknown suspects on Monday in connection with the attack on the vehicle of privately-owned Samaa TV news channel in Karachi.On the directives of Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, Inspector General of Police formed two committees to probe Monday’s incident, however, no progress has been made in the investigation so far.

One team is working under SSP Central Muqadas Haider while another team is working under SSP Investigation Central Samiullah Somroo.Both teams have been directed to submit a report on daily basis.According to the forensic report, two 9mm pistols were used in the attack. The guns were never used before.
Source. RMNPTaimour Abbas

Similar Posts